Penetration Testers, also referred to as “Pen Testers” or White Hat Hackers, are attackers who have been given explicit permission to attack a network or systems by organizations. A Penetration Tester is an expert in ethical hacking who uses various techniques and tools to penetrate the system like a hacker and an attacker does. They simulate attacks on computers and networks to identify and resolve vulnerabilities in their web and IT infrastructure before malicious attacks. Throughout the process, the Penetration Tester generates a detailed report of what he did and how many flaws he found out and then provides it to the organization’s senior manager so that the company can work on those details and rectify them.
Why Do We Need a Penetration Tester?
Nowadays, the demand for Penetration Testers is growing continuously. The organization employs Penetration Testers to improve or strengthen its information security. A Penetration Tester can defend an organization’s systems, networks, applications, endpoints, and users against internal and external attacks. Organizations need Penetration Testers to protect the risk-off cyber-attacks and protect the company’s finances from damage.
Top Penetration Testing Tools
- Nmap: Nmap is used for network discoveries, network mapping, or security audits. Nmap is an open-source tool.
- Wireshark: Wireshark is a packet and protocol analyzer used to examine network traffic across the world. It runs on Windows, Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD, and several other operating systems.
- Metasploit: It is a powerful exploiting tool. It checks known vulnerabilities on networks and servers, and it is the most impactful penetration testing tool. It is used for data scanning or browser exploits.
- Burp Suite: It is mainly used for tracking and tracing servers and client responses. It is a popular platform that helps in security tests, and this tool is convenient for web application testing. This tool is used for attack services, initial mapping, application analysis, finding exploits, etc.; it is also easy to configure.
- John the Ripper: It is an open-source password cracking tool whose primary goal is to explore and reveal weak passwords on a specific system.
- SQLmap: SQLmap is commonly used to scan your database. If there is any vulnerability in the database, then the SQLmap tool is helpful to find them.
- Hashcat: Hashcat is the fastest and most efficient password recovery tool. It is used for legal and illegal purposes, and it supports different operating systems or cracking networks.
- Invicit (formerly known as Netsparker): Invicit or Netsparker is a web application security scanner tool that prevents vulnerabilities in web applications. It helps in finding dead vulnerabilities with the use of the latest scanning technology and exploits those vulnerabilities.
- Aircrack-ng: Aircrack-ng is a wireless network security tool commonly used by Penetration Testers, and it is the best tool for WiFi analysis and WiFi security auditing.
- Kali Linux: Kali Linux is also called the operating system of hackers. It includes several tools that have been carefully selected to assist you in performing various penetration testing activities, such as sniffing, password cracking, and digital forensics.
- Hydra: Hydra is a password cracking tool, and it is the only password penetration-testing procedure that can test many protocols and connections simultaneously.
- Nessus: It is security testing software that runs automatically, and it is one of the most effective vulnerability scanners on demand. Compliance audits, sensitive data searches, IP scans, website scanning, and other services are among its specialties.
- Social-Engineer Toolkit: It is also called the SET toolkit. SET protects against social engineering threats by preventing human error.
- Ettercap: It is an open-source information security tool for LAN scanning for man-in-the-middle attacks. Ettercap allows for both active and passive network and host security testing, and this tool is perfect for deep network scanning, monitoring, and testing LAN.
- w3af: w3af is a web application security framework that aims to detect and exploit vulnerabilities in all web applications. Its goal is to identify, assess, and manage any security flaws in web-based applications.
Career Opportunities For Penetration Tester
There is a massive requirement for Penetration Testers. A profession as a Penetration Tester allows you to put your hacking abilities to good use by helping corporations safeguard themselves against cybercriminals.
There are various opportunities to start a career in penetration testing, such as:
- System Administrator
- Network Administrator
- Cyber Security Analyst
- Security Engineer
- Penetration Testing Manager
Penetration Tester with InfosecTrain
Penetration Testers are one of the most sought-after cybersecurity professionals these days. Enroll in one of InfosecTrain‘s penetration testing training courses if you want to become a skilled Penetration Tester by mastering the most recent commercial hacking tools and procedures that can be used to secure your organization from future cyberattacks. Learn the best tools and methods from our highly skilled trainers. We provide a variety of courses to help you improve your penetration testing skills, including:
We also offer customized training courses like the PenTester combo training course.