A Security Operations Center or SOC is a command center department with a crew of information security professionals in charge of protecting organizations from cyber-attacks.
This exam is sponsored by the EC council to measure the individual’s abilities in protecting the data by following the business requirements and according to information security principles of availability, integrity, and confidentiality.
The primary responsibilities of the Certified SOC Analyst
1. Protection: Protection includes recovery and backups, system monitoring, and threat hunting to protect databases, servers, and desktops.
2. Prevention: Prevention includes research, staff security training, system development, threat intelligence, update maintenance.
3. Detection: Detection includes constant system behavioral monitoring, asset discovery and management, activity log maintenance, and compliance auditing.
The general responsibilities of a certified SOC analyst in their daily life are:
The CSAs are also responsible for investigating and creating reports on Information Security problems.
CSA exam details
CSA course outline
Who can take up the CSA exam?
Let us see eight steps needed to become a Certified SOC analyst.
1. Experience needed: To attend the CSA exam, you need to have at least one year of working experience in security/network admin domains. You must be able to provide proof of your work.
2. Exam details: You should know the exam details like the hours you get, the number of questions you have to attempt, passing score, weightage of every module so that you can prepare accordingly.
3. Practice tests: Attending a lot of practice tests is one of the best things you can ever do in your preparation journey. Because while doing practice tests, you can get an idea of the kind of questions you face in the actual exam. You will know about the scoring process. You can identify your weak areas of the subject. This step will play a significant role in your success journey.
But make sure you are attempting the practice tests from the authentic sites.
4. Get a study buddy: This practice is also one of the good ways to clear your CSA exam. If you know someone preparing for the CSA exam or someone who has already cleared the CSA exam, then it is a perfect opportunity for you to clear your doubts.
5. Online training: Get excellent online training where you can clear all your doubts, explain concepts with real-time examples, and get practical and theoretical experience. Just like InfosecTrain, here you can get everything you need to clear the CSA exam. All you have to do is to register for our course.
6. Get books: Reading books can give you a good grip on the concept. I suggest books like “Jump-start your SOC analyst career” and “SOC functions and their applications,” which can give you a clear idea of the topics.
7. Study Plan: Everything needs planning such as this exam. Schedule your study timings and research timings and prepare accordingly.
8. Exam retake policy: You can retake the exam; if you failed for the first time, there is no waiting period, but you have to wait for at least 14 days to retake the exam for the third or fourth time.
Now let us discuss some frequently asked questions about the Certified SOC analyst exam:
1. Do I get a refund if my application is not approved?
No, you do not get a refund if your application is not approved.
2. How to register for the exam?
Individuals must own a valid and active exam voucher to register for the exam. You will get your registration guide with the vouchers.
3. Do I need to sign an agreement before the exam?
Yes, you have to sign the following:
4. Can I review the answers in the exam?
Yes, you can review the answers before the exam by marking them as reviews later.
5. Where to sign up to retake the exam?
You can sign up to retake the exam here.
6. How is the exam score calculated?
The points earned by you will be added and then compared with the cutoff to decide whether you have passed or failed.
7. When will I get the result?
You will get your pass or fail status immediately after completing your exam.
Certified SOC Analyst training with Infosec Train:
InfosecTrain is one of the best globally recognized training platforms focusing on Information security services and IT security training. Enroll in our Certified SOC Analyst Certification Training course to experience the practical sessions and excellent training from the best trainers.